Weight Loss Surgery in Weirton, WV
What is Weight Loss Surgery?
There are many factors that can determine a patient’s eligibility for a weight loss surgical procedure. Such surgeries should never be used as a type of “quick fix” to a weight issue, but should be carefully considered and diligently maintained once complete.
Best Candidates for Weight Loss Surgery
The following criteria is often used to help identify ideal candidates for a bariatric surgery:
- Individuals weighing more than 100 lbs. above their optimal body weight
- Those with a body mass index (BMI) of 40 or higher
- Patients with a BMI between 35 and 40 who also possess some sort of obesity-related health condition like heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, etc.
- Individuals who have a documented history of unsuccessful weight loss programs or other weight loss methods
- Persons who are committed to making the necessary lifestyle changes after a weight loss surgery, including proper diet and exercise in addition to follow up care from a qualified health professional
- Patients with a solid support system to help them recover from weight loss surgery and continue to implement healthy lifestyle choices after surgery
- Those without an uncontrolled psychological condition
- Individuals who do not have any addictions to drugs or alcohol
Common Types of Bariatric Surgery
There are several different options available to patients considering a weight loss surgery. The most common types of weight loss surgery include:
- Gastric Bypass
- Sleeve Gastrectomy
- Gastric Banding
It is always important to carefully consider each option in addition to discussing all questions and concerns with a weight loss surgical specialist. To speak with a bariatric surgeon of Weirton Medical Center, please call our area office today to schedule an appointment.
Schedule Your Weight Loss Surgery Consultation Today!
If you have any questions, or would like to schedule an appointment, contact Robotic Surgery at Weirton Medical Center at (304) 914-4250.